The Community Sports Leaders Award (CSLA) is offered as an enrichment course to be studied in addition to your full time sixth form programme.
It is a nationally recognised qualification awarded through the Sports Leaders UK. This qualification provides an introduction for those people wishing to lead groups in sporting and recreational activities and gives those over 16 years of age, regardless of ability, the opportunity to train and provide voluntary assistance alongside qualified coaches or teachers. You will study for this qualification for 1 hour per week. All units must be completed and a voluntary community placement of at least 10 hours must also be fulfilled.
The Community Sports Leader Award syllabus is divided into eight units which are as follows:
- Organising and delivering a sports activity session
- Establishing and maintaining a safe sporting activity
- Sports and recreation in the UK
- Fitness sessions
- Running sporting events/competitions
- Adapting sports activities
- Select, plan and lead on a sporting activity
- Demonstration of leadership skills in the community
This is a fun and practical qualification that offers an ideal way for you to develop leadership skills, personal confidence and gain some volunteering experience. The leadership skills gained through this course will be applicable for anyone looking at people management careers, not necessarily limited to the sporting field.